Answers to the Exercises for The Bear and the Woman
A. How much did you understand?
- 1/d The woman went to the river because she needed more water for her porridge.
- 2/e The woman didn't want to give the bear her porridge because she was very hungry.
- 3/b The bear began to feel hungry because he could smell the porridge.
- 4/c The woman was angry with the bear because he was eating the last bit of her porridge.
- 5/a The bear was frightened of the woman because she was very angry.
- 1/c The donkey pulled and pulled at his rope because he was frightened of the bear.
- 2/f The bees flew out of the beehive because the beehive fell down, on to the ground.
- 3/a The chicken flapped her wings because the bees had stung her.
- 4/b The cereals blew away because the chicken flapped her wings.
- 5/e The chief's dog barked because the cereals were blowing away.
- 6/d The chief's wife came out of her house because the chief's dog was barking.
- 1/d The chief's wife went to the chief because she knew that he could find the answer.
- 2/b The chief said that the bear was greedy because he liked to eat other people's food.
- 3/e The chief said that the woman was selfish because she did not like to share her food.
- 4/a The chief told the bear to go away because he could not live with the woman.
- 5/c The woman is still frightened of the bear because the bear is still angry.
B. Where, what, who?
- What was the woman cooking in her pot?
- What did she need to fetch from the river?
- Where was the bear when the woman was cooking?
Outside the woman's house
- Who was tied to a tree outside the woman's house?
The woman's donkey
- What fell out of the tree?
- Who did the bees sting?
- When the chicken flapped her wings, what blew away?
- Where was the chief's wife when the dog began to bark?
Inside her house
- Who found the answer to the problem?
- Where did the bear go to live?
In the forest